Saturday, September 12, 2009

Under Wraps

It's been a week since my last "blogging". Just last night actually early this morning...3:30 to be exact, I finished my grandson's special "Lego's" cake. What started out as three simple, blocks of cake covered in the primary colors...red....yellow and blue....Turned out to have more details than I expected.

I was inspired by the simplicity of one of my cake sisters in Michigan and a cake brother in Washington....and was going to make the cake just like theirs...just altering the colors....but I couldn't do it! I couldn't bite off them! After the cake was completed...or so I thought...the blocks of cake in place, with the signature Lego interlocking pieces safely nestled on top of each block....I was ready to move on to my Cartier watch creation....and stopped. The cake screamed at me...you have to add your touch to this...this isn't who you are as a decorator of cakes. And soooooo.....one by one by one....I added little fondant Lego blocks as borders. Done. I thought! It needed more.

Yikes Amelia you're probably thinking....come on now...less is more! Yah...I agree in some cases.
But this cake still lacked that one thing that said .... Amelia Cakes. I closed my eyes....and called forth that little cake designer living inside my soul and let it do the work.

It's kind of scary letting go like that. And I try to stop it...but it simply takes over. Thank God for that. Because....when it's done...the hands stop...and not one more piece of fondant is rolled...pinched....cut...or piped!

Well....Lego Cake for Costa my youngest grandchild is complete and under wraps. Sitting safely in a very airconditioned room....waiting for delivery to his party!
Oh...flavors!!!! Cake #1...Vanilla Cake filled with a scrumptious pineapple/coconut filling,
Cake #2...Vanilla Cake filled with Bavarian Creme and Cherries, Cake #3...Vanilla Cake filled filled a creamy Vanilla Bavarian Cream. YUMMO!
It's still under wrap....
Until the unveiling tomorrow!
Now onto my Cartier watch cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment