Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bridal Shower Cake for Christina at Il Bacco

 Gumpaste shoe with ribbon and ribbon rose and some bling on top of purse cake.
 Purse Cake and gumpaste shoe. This was inspired by the invitation for Christina's Shower.
 Gift Box made to accompany the purse and shoe display.
 Gift Box Cake and Shoe on Purse Cake for Christina's Shower. Don't know if you can see the board but it was stenciled with a damask royal icing technique.
Cupcakes for Christina's Shower. Chocolate Blackout Cake topped with a Passionfruit Italian Meringue Buttercream

I so love wedding and shower cakes! Alexandra a friend and former teaching collegue called me to create a cake for her sister-in-law to be Christina's Bridal Shower. I can't tell you how happy and honored I was! Alexandra  is soooo sweet!
She had a vision for the shower, and I must say it was lovely. When I saw the invitation I knew exactly where to go with the cake.

The fun part of making the shoe was when I bought a pair of spiked heels and tore them apart to get just the right pitch for the sole. (Thank you Anne Heap for the great tutorial on gumpaste shoe making!) You should have seen the look on hubby's face when I sat there tearing the shoe apart!!! lol

Little tip for all my cake designer/decorator friends..something I'm sure you all know....but I thought I share anyway....Make as many of the decorations as you can well in advance of assembling your cakes....Makes for an easier and faster assembly on "building" day!

Now back to THE cake. It was a moist...yellow butter cake...filled with sugared fresh strawberries and passion fruit Italian Meringue buttercream. To get the buttercream really light an fluffy...I beat it on low-medium after I've added my flavorings for a couple more minutes. mmmmmmmm!

By the way...the venue...Il Bacco on Northern Blvd in Little Neck, NY is amazing. The venue for the shower was beautiful. I can't wait to go to dinner there one evening in their restaurant.

Congratulations to Chistina. As we say in Greek...Sta Stefana. Literally translated... And to the crowning.
Alexandra...what a lovely lovely job  you did organizing the shower! Everything was done so beautifully...and was ohhhhh so chic!!!! Brava!!!

1 comment:

  1. It is mind-blowing! The shoe on the top looks so real. I have to give a big round of applause to all the bakers in today’s time. They are doing a fantastic job. Its good because now I will be able to get all types of cakes for my husband. There is also a fest going on in one of the LA event venues and I would love to get some more cake design ideas from there.

    ReplyDelete